Dead electrical outlets are both an inconvenience and a safety hazard. And while it hardly happens in a well-maintained home, its occurrence is not uncommon. Unfortunately, wiring and plugs can get worn out, loosen, or get bitten by pests like rodents causing them to lose power. 

Malfunctioning power receptacles may seem harmless, but these outlets also have their share of safety hazards. For one, it is frustrating and inconvenient. Moreover, it could also cause power overloading. Homeowners may be constrained to use extension wires and power strips to make up for the dead power outlet. When a certain circuit is overloaded, the wires beneath that wall could overheat and spark an electrical fire.

Dead electrical outlets are a safety hazard too.

Dealing with dead electrical outlets

But how should a homeowner deal with a deal electrical outlet? The first thing a homeowner should do is to verify if the outlet is indeed malfunctioning. The homeowner should check if both receptacles are not working. It is also possible that the appliance or electrical device plugged therein is malfunctioning, so homeowners should try more than one type of appliance in both plugs to confirm if the outlet is indeed dead. 

The next thing the homeowner should do is to check the circuit breaker serving that particular receptacle, as it may have reset. Breakers reset when it detects a short circuit, ground fault, or overloading. He could then reset that specific breaker and then try again if the outlet is working. 

Requesting for electrical outlet replacement

If the electrical outlet is still not working then the homeowner should call for a licensed electrician. An electrician could professionally diagnose and troubleshoot the malfunctioning power outlet. Homeowners should restrain themselves from carrying out a DIY repair, as electrical repairs are only meant to be carried out by professionals.